Phoebe's Funfetti Cupcake | Recipe
Phoebe Walters, owner of Lakeview's Phoebe's Cupcakes, shares her much-loved recipe (with a summery raspberry twist just for TOC Kids).
Phoebe’s vanilla cake
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1¾ cups granulated white sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsps pure vanilla extract
1 cup room temperature milk
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack in center of oven. Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until soft and creamy (about 1–2 minutes). Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3–5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each egg in completely before adding another. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture (in three parts) and milk (in two parts), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter among the cups. Bake 27–35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about ten minutes. Then pull the cupcakes out of the pan onto the cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Phoebe’s American buttercream
1 lb unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp corn syrup
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup fresh berries
2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix butter, vanilla and salt until soft and creamy. Alternate adding powdered sugar and cream until both ingredients are mixed in completely. Add corn syrup until completely mixed.
- Add berries last. You can add more cream to make it softer or more sugar to make it thicker.