The Chatterbox | January 25
File under: "Breaking"
- Navy Pier abruptly shuts down its Royal White Tigers exhibit amidst reports that it's unsafe for children.
- We're delighted (but not surprised) that A Cat In Paris got an Oscar nomination yesterday. Ann Vikstrom, the programming director of the Chicago International Children's Film Festival, told us in October that the French cartoon thriller "will probably win a number of awards, and it’s super adorable. Who doesn’t like cats and who doesn’t like Paris?” And we gave it a four-star review. But if you're curious about how it beat out big-time movies like Tintin and Cars 2, check out the Miami Herald's informative article.
File under: "Families 'round the globe"
While "bouncing baby gender neutral" doesn't have quite the same ring, a UK mom from Sawston, near Cambridge, kept the sex of her baby Sasha a secret until recently, when he turned 5. In an interview with the Cambridge News, Sasha's mom says she wants to raise her child gender-neutral because boy/girl stereotypes are "fundamentally stupid" adding "It’s like horoscopes: what could be stupider than thinking there are 12 types of personalities that depend on when you were born? It’s so idiotic.”
- The International Museum of Women recently launched online, multimedia exhibit "Mama: Motherhood Around the Globe", which includes beautiful photos, memoirs, videos and art that capture the very different stories of mothers throughout the world.
- A 16-year-old girl from the Netherlands is the youngest person to sail around the world.
File under: "Run to and away from the gym"
- A chocolate cupcake stuffed with an Oreo cookie, a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and then topped with peanut butter-Oreo buttercream? Yes, please. "Seriously though, don’t check the cals on these puppies. Don’t do it. Just stuff your face and call it day," explains the evil-genius blogger behind this recipe post.
- We can't begin to explain why Russian Prime Minister Vladimir "Dojo" Putin has been repeatedly captured Judo slamming tweenage opponents. But this Buzzfeed roundup of images featuring the martial arts enthusiast and his young grasshoppers made us chuckle.